A waffle is a traditional breakfast food, usually prepared on the weekends, topped with delicious syrups, sauces, or butter for the whole family to enjoy.
I wanted to participate in this breakfast habit and began my search to make the best homemade waffle recipe. My quest led me to various types of waffle mix. I was not aware that I could purchase one off the market shelf. Seeing this as an easy and uncomplicated way to make waffles for a newbie like me.
I started to search for the best waffle mix brand. To my surprise, different companies flooded the market claiming to provide a foolproof waffle mix to create crisp and fluffy waffles. Advertisements inform and persuade people to buy a product. To save you from becoming a target of these marketing strategies, I have created a list of the brands, along with their pros and cons.
9 Best Waffle Mix Brand
Krusteaz Belgian waffle mix requires zero cooking experience. It is a great choice if you don’t know how to cook or don’t want to spend time in the kitchen. By adding water to the mix, you will be able to whip up a batch of waffles in no time.
- Waffles are easy to make. You only need to add water to the mix.
- It is convenient and fast to make waffles.
- Instructions on the box are for making half or for the whole mix. For making a couple of waffles, add water gradually and mix till the consistency of the batter is thick enough.
- Waffles are not that crispy, and it does not taste like Belgian waffles.
Stonewall Kitchen Buttermilk
A foolproof mix perfect for creating pancakes and waffles for breakfast. Follow the directions on the box by adding a few ingredients into the mix.
- Waffles turn out to be delicious. They are sweet and fluffy on the inside and crispy from the outside.
- Apart from the instructions mentioned in the box, you can experiment with the mix by adding your ingredients.
- You can make both pancakes and waffles.
- Expensive, you can make enough waffles to serve 3 to 4 people.
- It is not a ready-to-go mix. You need to add extra ingredients to prepare the waffles.
Simple Mills Almond Flour
If you are looking for a gluten-free mix, this is the product for you. Simple Mills is certified gluten-free, and the waffles and pancakes with an almond and coconut flavor are a great breakfast treat. Follow the directions on the box to make crispy and fluffy waffles.
- They add the finest ingredients, from sea salt to almond and coconut flour.
- This mix uses organic ingredients and is gluten-free.
- Waffles are crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- The only extra ingredients to add are eggs, milk, and oil.
- Due to the ingredients used, this mix is costly.
Betty Crocker Bisquick Baking Mix
Betty Crocker has done it with their baking mix. Your breakfast is not limited to waffles only. If you are in the mood for pancakes or want to enjoy tea with a full plate of biscuits, you can treat yourself to a delicious gluten-free breakfast meal. You can prepare something savory as well.
- Prepare waffles, pancakes, biscuits, pizza crust, oven-baked chicken, and more.
- It is gluten-free.
- It is expensive.
- It is not a suitable choice if you want to make quick waffles.
- The mix contains a high level of sugar content.
Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes
If you are in a rush, you should consider purchasing a ready-to-go mix, in which you only have to water. If you have enough time on your hand, you can play with the mix by throwing in some extra ingredients to make those special waffles. The mix is good but not to be mistaken for a healthy diet.
- Easy to make, only add water.
- Waffles have a great taste and texture.
- FDA says this mix is considered unhealthy because of the high sugar and the amount of fat it contains.
- Don’t rely on water as the single ingredient if you want extra flavor. You may need to add milk and eggs into the mix.
Bob’s Red Mill Organic 7 Grai
Enjoy your breakfast and serve healthy waffles to your loved ones using this easy to prepare waffle mix by adding water.
- It is a quick and easy way to prepare waffles by adding only water to the mix.
- The mix is versatile, you can substitute water with milk or buttermilk. You can also make a different recipe by adding a few other ingredients.
- It is very healthy and contains whole grain flour.
- Waffles don’t turn out to be fluffy and are a bit dense.
- The mix itself is tasteless, so you need to add some sweet ingredients.
- It is a bit pricey.
Maple Grove Farms Belgian
There is nothing quite like waking up on a Sunday morning and whipping up a batch of deliciously crisp and fluffy waffles. The malt and vanilla flavor in the mix makes the waffles more delicious to eat.
- Sealed in an inner bag to keep the mix fresh.
- The cooked waffles are light, crispy, and fluffy.
- Expensive to purchase.
- Serving sizes are not accurate.
Hungry Jack Complete Belgian
Hungry Jack has introduced a healthy waffle mix providing a decent amount of the required vitamins and minerals the body needs per serving. It is easy to prepare the waffle batter, add a cup or two of water and whisk it till the batter is smooth without any lumps.
- Waffles are easy to prepare. All you need to do is add water.
- Tasty crisp and fluffy waffles.
- Some say the texture is rubbery.
Stonewall Kitchen Farmhouse
A two-in-one mix with which you can create pancakes and waffles. It is delicious because of the flavored malt flour and the vanilla aroma. Adding a few basic ingredients and with a bit of prep work, you will be able to prepare delicious waffles quickly
- The mix can make both pancakes and waffles.
- Waffles come out golden in color, light, and fluffy.
- You need to add a few ingredients to the mix.
- A bit expensive compared to other products.
- Some say it tastes is a bit bland.
What to Look for When Buying Waffle Mix?
Having a waffle mix is handy if you want to have a fast and delicious breakfast that you can prepare with zero cooking skills. But before you make a purchase, there are a few factors you need to consider.
I am very picky when it comes to buying ready-made food products. I don’t grab a waffle mix and throw it in my shopping cart. I compare the various brands available and read the ingredients and cooking instructions.
Instant food products usually contain preservatives. So before I buy, I want to make sure that the ingredients listed are healthy, the waffle mix doesn’t include a lot of preservatives, and I always purchase a small box to try how the waffles come out.
Last but not least, always read the reviews online or ask friends and family for advice on the best waffle mix available in the market.
Frequently Asked Question
Is pancake mix and waffle mix the same?
Pancake and waffle mix are not the same, but the ingredients slightly vary. However, many companies produce a single mix, with which you can make both waffles and pancakes.
How much waffle mix do you need for one waffle?
It depends on the brand that you are using. However, adding half a cup of waffle mix is sufficient to cook a single waffle.
What can you add to the waffle mix?
The usual ingredients are milk, eggs, and oil. If the waffle mix allows, you can add any extra ingredient to make your waffles more appetizing.
Is waffle mix gluten-free?
Some companies are producing gluten-free waffle mixes. If it is gluten-free, it will be mentioned on the box.
Do you need to add water to the mix to prepare waffles?
It will be mentioned on the box if only water is required. Otherwise, you need to add extra ingredients to the mix to prepare waffles.