After any food/beverage/drink process we get wastages out of it. But in beer brewing what we get after the brewing process can’t be considered as wastage.
Well, Spent Grains produced from the brewing process can be used for a goof food purpose. If you are a bread lover or you and your family eat bread regularly, you can surely make a nutritive bread out of it. What you have to do is just follow some simple steps to make it.
There are several ways available that you can apply to make a Spent Grain Bread. Here I am providing the two easiest and convenient ways to make Spent Grain Bread at home.
Recipe 1: Simple Spent Grain Recipe
Powdered Milk, Warm Water, Yeast, Sugar, Salted Butter, Salt, Egg, Spent Grains, Flour.
Approximate Time To Bake:
How To Make:
Check out our recommended Grain Mill for the best experience.
- Step 1: To make the Spent Grain Bread firstly, you have to make a yeast mixture. For that, take 1/3 cup of Powdered Milk in a cup. Add ¾ cup of warm water in it. Stir well to mix the milk with the water. Now add 1 tsp. of active yeast into it. Whisk the mixture well and cover it with a towel. Keep aside and wait for the mixture to bubble up.
- Step 2: When you get the bubbled up mixture, pour that into a mixer. Add 1/3 cup sugar in it. You can use icing Sugar or Normal White Sugar. Add 1 tsp. of Salt, ¼ cup of Salted Butter, 1 Egg, 1 cup Spent Grains, and 2 and ¼ cup Flour in it. Mix well to make the dough nice. After making the dough cover it with a damp towel. Keep aside for about an hour.
- Step 3: After an hour your dough will rise. Now, put some flour on the surface you want to place your dough. Take the dough on there and sprinkle over some more Flour. Start working on the dough. Gradually add some more flour by time if the dough is too sticky. Keep adding Flour and mixing well until the dough becomes rubbery tight and soft.
- Step 4: Cut the dough into two halves now. Take two Cast Iron Cans or any metal cans you have. Place Parchment Paper over the cans and put the dough into it. Sprinkle some flour over it and cover the cans with a damp towel.
- Step 5: Preheat the oven to 150 degrees and now place the cans inside the oven. Bake for 30 minutes until the dough becomes Brown from the top.
- Step 6: When the baking is done, take out the cans from the oven. Take the Loaves out of the can and place it on a plate. Let them cool down. Don’t slice them just after getting out of the oven. Wait for 10 minutes at least after the baking process is done. Then slice it and it is ready to eat.
Recipe 2: Dark Spent Grain Recipe
Water, Spent Grains, Yeast, Flour, Spent Grains, Salt.
Approximate Time To Bake:
How To Make:
- Step 1: Take 200g warm water in a mug and add 2g of Yeast. Add 200g flour and mix well. Keep the mixture aside for 12 hours or so. After that time, the mixture will increase and bubble up.
- Step 2: Take 300g of Spent Grains and blend well in a blender. Use 200g of water to blend the grains.
- Step 3: After the blending is done add the blended grains to the yeast mixture. Stir well until the grains are fully mixed with the Yeast mixture.
- Step 4: When the mixing is done well add 600g Water, 2g Dry Yeast, 40g Salt, 1kg Flour into it. Mix well until it becomes a good texture. After mixing keep the mixture aside for an hour.
- Step 5: After 1 hour makes your first Kneed. Knead well using your hands with time. Rest the dough for an hour and Kneed again after that. Kneed for some time. Let the dough rise after that. Come again and do your last kneed now. Let the dough rise more.
- Step 6: Now, cut the dough into halves. Place Parchment Paper over two cans or you can simply use cooking spray. Place the dough into the can and let rise for 1.5 hours.
- Step 7: Preheat your Oven at 230 degrees Celsius. In the steam, pan pours some water and place it in the lower rack of the oven. The steam will help the bread get moist.
- Step 8: Now, place the cans inside the Oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. After that, take out the steam pan and again bake for more 30-40 minutes.